Legal TipsTexas Injury Lawyers Representing Clients throughout Texas and Nationwide
KNOW THIS BEFORE AN ACCIDENTNo one plans to have an accident and no one expects to sustain a serious injury or lose a loved one to death from someone else’s actions or mistake. It helps to at least have heard what experienced lawyers say you can do to ease the situation. At Bush Lewis, we think there are some helpful guidelines that we recommend to you. Our lawyers suggest:
- Generally cooperate with law enforcement and administrative agencies. If you have not violated the law, committed a crime, or violated some administrative regulation, fully cooperate with law enforcement or administrative agencies investigating an accident. You have a Constitutional right not to incriminate yourself by confessing to a crime and can invoke that right if you choose. Certainly never lie or be dishonest about what happened because that could be a crime. Criminal defense advice is beyond our expertise.
- After a motor vehicle accident, exchange personal contact and insurance information with the other drivers and contact your insurance company. Make sure you get the names of both the vehicle’s driver and owner, their telephone numbers and address, and the name, telephone number, and address of the insurance company. Then contact your insurance coverage to report the accident—whether you think it is your fault or the other driver’s fault. To be protected by your insurance policy, the law requires that you report the accident to your insurance company and cooperate with it during its investigation and any claims or lawsuits that occur because of the accident.
- If you are injured, promptly seek medical care. The more serious the injury, the more important it is to get immediate care. Do not expect the party causing the accident (unless it is your employer and you were hurt on the job) to pay for your health care. You or your own insurance will have to pay for it and then try to get it back from the person or company who caused the accident.
- Document the facts of the accident. If you or someone else is able to do so safely, take photographs and/or video of the accident scene, property damage, and injuries to the maximum extent possible. It is much more difficult to argue with a picture than what someone claims happened. As they say, a picture really is worth a thousand words. Get the names and contact information of possible witnesses.
- Except in death or very serious injuries, do not call your lawyer from the accident scene. In devastating injury and death cases, it may be necessary for your lawyers to try to get a court order to preserve the evidence at the accident site. Other than those situations, take care of your injuries by getting the right health care first. Stay calm and take care of family matters. After the injury situation is stabilized as much as possible, contact the right attorneys for your particular case.
- Document any losses or damages your injuries cause. Keep copies of all your medical bills, lost income, and any other damages you sustain from the injuries. Take photographs of all your injuries and devices like casts or braces you require for treatment of your injuries.
- You do not have to use a lawyer recommended by your insurance company, your employer, or your union. You have the absolute right to choose any lawyer you want to represent you and handle your claims. No one has the right to make you use a certain lawyer. You actually have a Constitutional right to choose any lawyer who is willing to represent you to be your lawyer. We recommend that you do not hire lawyers who contact you directly or indirectly without you requesting them to do so. Hiring a lawyer is a serious matter and you need to make such a decision very thoughtfully and deliberately after gathering important information about the lawyer.
- Learn about your rights in your particular type of claim before you make important decisions like whether to settle, whether to hire a lawyer, or which lawyer to hire to be your advocate. We have spent a large amount of time and effort putting together an extensive website to provide you with a great deal of information about different types of claims to give you a head start in this area. The lawyers at Bush Lewis want consumers to be informed when they make important decisions. We work hard to keep our clients fully informed about all their rights and to properly protect those rights when you choose us to be your lawyers. The responsibility of being your lawyer is one of special trust and duty.
Know This Before An Accident
No one plans to have an accident and no one expects to sustain a serious injury or lose a loved one to death from someone else's actions or mistake. It helps to at least have heard what experienced lawyers say you can do to ease the situation. At Bush Lewis, we think there are some helpful guidelines that we recommend to you. Our lawyers suggest: Learn more.